zondag 1 april 2012

Krakatoa


The first day in a new month and my first entry about a non-BPAL scent. I got a partial sample of this with something I bought and I never really tried it before because it has coconut as a note. Besides when I got it I had just had some unpleasant experiences with non-BPAL scents, most of which had synthetic ingredients. Yesterday however a friend told me she had ordered some samples from Villainess Soaps because she had found out that they do not only sell soaps but also have a small line of perfumes. It was too late for me to share in the one-day-discount, but I had a look at the website and discovered that I had one of these scents: Krakatoa.


I had immediately liked the name because as a young girl I had read about the great volcanic eruptions of the Krakatoa (which then was known to me with the name Krakatau which is still one way to spell its name) in 1883. The 1883 eruption ejected approximately 21 km3 (5.0 cu mi) of rock, ash, and pumice and the explosion could be heard on islands as far away as 3000-5000 km (2000-3000 miles). Two-thirds of the island were destroyed in the eruption. Later eruptions built a new island at the same location called Anak Krakatau which means Child of Krakatoa. The Child of Krakatoa is still growing as the volcano is still active.

The scent however has nothing to do with volcanic activity. It is described as;
Flashes of exotic foliage - coconut, banana, papaya, dewfruit, mango - amidst slightly more domestic fruits - nectarine, red apple, peach, plums, pears, and raspberries - and an explosive burst of citrus - mandarin orange, pineapple, lemon, and tangerine. To ground our island paradise? A light musk, salted driftwood, sugar cane, and dry sandalwood.
To me it starts off as a fruity scent with a coconut background that soon morphs into a coconut scent with a fruity background. I do not particularly like coconut in my scents and as a result I sniff them out even when there is very little, so I may have my personal prejudice here. Yet in spite of my dislike of coconut in perfume this scent is not bad at all. It is a nice tropical island scent, just a little too strong on the coconut for my taste.



Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten