woensdag 25 april 2012

Hairy Toad Lily


The real Hairy Toad Lily (the plant, Tricyrtis hirta, not the perfume) naturally grows in Asia, from the Himalayas to Eastern Asia. They are especially well known to grow in Japan. They grow at the edge of forests and prefer (partial) shade and rich, moist soil. (source) Alas, this is about all the information I could find about this lovely flower.
There are several tricyrtis lilies and they all are spotted, but the hairy toad lily is described as a hairy plant. I just discovered that my favorite online seeds store has Hairy Toad Lily seeds, so nothing should stop me from growing my own hairy toad lilies now! Fortunately the picture that comes with these seeds shows the same lily as shown here. I have seen several with less or even no spots at all, new variations that have been cultivated. But what is a hairy toad lily without its purple spots?


Another entry about Hairy Toad Lily.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten