dinsdag 10 april 2012

On Darkness (2008)




You, darkness, that I come from
I love you more than all the fires
that fence in the world, 
for the fire makes a circle of light for everyone
and then no one outside learns of you. 

But the darkness pulls in everything-
shapes and fires, animals and myself, 
how easily it gathers them! -
powers and people-

and it is possible a great presence is moving near me. 

I have faith in nights. 

But the original is better (of course).

Du Dunkelheit

Du Dunkelheit, aus der ich stamme,
ich liebe dich mehr als die Flamme,
welche die Welt begrenzt,
indem sie glänzt
für irgendeinen Kreis,
aus dem heraus kein Wesen von ihr weiß.
Aber die Dunkelheit hält alles an sich:
Gestalten und Flammen, Tiere und mich,
wie sie’s errafft,
Menschen und Mächte –

Und es kann sein: eine große Kraft
rührt sich in meiner Nachbarschaft.
Ich glaube an Nächte.

Rainer Maria Rilke

Black Phoenix translated this poem into a scent, or rather into two scents but with the same description. On Darkness was a Yule scent in 2008 and 2009 and reviews tell that these two were very different. The notes however were the same for both:
An embrace: black poppy, lavender, thick black incense, black amber, rose geranium, Brazilian rosewood, and benzoin.
Someone who compared the two found the 2008 stronger on the amber and the 2009 more floral, but we all know how different scents can be on different persons. However, my 2008 is indeed more amber than floral and I love it very much. It is not at all sweet or sharp as the 2009 was often experienced. 


This day is dark, both in the weather outside which is very grey and rainy and in my mood. It would be very nice if the scent could make me like the darkness.



(It was very hard to make the poem come out as it should, the blog software only allows a new line as a new paragraph. If I ever find out how to make a poem look better in this format, I shall apply it here.)

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten