maandag 2 april 2012

Elizabeth of Bohemia


I have for some time wondered if I really love Two, Five and Seven more than other rose scents or perhaps only think that I do. So I decided I would go through all those that I have (or remember that I have) to find out, starting with the latest, Elizabeth of Bohemia from the 2012 Lupercalia scents. The description is:
Incomparable loveliness: the perfect rose oude.
And the first time I tried it I was very disappointed because I smelled rose, but no oudh (oud, oude, all alternative spellings). This time too I smell rose more than anything else, but I could imagine that there is, very faintly, some bottom note that could be oudh. But then, I may smell a faint violet note as well. Still: mostly rose and a good rose, but it doesn't give me the happy feeling I get with playing card guys. 


Elizabeth of Bohemia is not just the picture and the scent description, she came with a poem by Sir Henry Wotton (March 30, 1568 – December 1639) who was both an author and a diplomat and much devoted to princess Elizabeth  (19 August 1596 – 13 February 1662), daughter of James VI and I of Scotland, England and Ireland and Anne of Denmark, and Queen of Bohemia. His devotion was no doubt the inspiration for the poem that carries her name. 
You meaner beauties of the night,
   That poorly satisfy our eyes
More by your number than your light,
   You common people of the skies;
   What are you when the moon shall rise?

You curious chanters of the wood,
   That warble forth Dame Nature's lays,
Thinking your passions understood
   By your weak accents; what 's your praise
   When Philomel her voice shall raise?

You violets that first appear,
   By your pure purple mantles known
Like the proud virgins of the year,
   As if the spring were all your own;
   What are you when the rose is blown?

So, when my mistress shall be seen
   In form and beauty of her mind,
By virtue first, then choice, a Queen,
   Tell me, if she were not design'd
   Th' eclipse and glory of her kind.
I have to admit that the thought that there might be violet in this scent is prompted by the poem, but I really think I smell it when my arm is far from my nose and the rose is not so strong I can't smell anything else. And honestly, although it is a beautiful rose, I would not mind if I smelled more of the violet and the oudh. But perhaps the rose is like Elizabeth in the poem, th' eclipse and glory, of the scent in this case.




Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten