maandag 7 mei 2012

Lady in Speckled Pink Kimono


The peony in the picture above was labeled as a Japanese Tree Peony. Although Japanese Tree Peony seems to be a common name for tree peonies, most species of which the origin was specified were found in China. There are about 8 species of woody peonies and about 30 species of herbaceous peonies, of the herbaceous species one is literally named Japanese (Paeonia japonica). 


There is a story in which the peony was once Paeon (or Paean), who in Homer's writings was the physician of the gods. In the Iliad Paeon heals Ares and Hades with his herbal lore. But he has also been seen as an epithet of Apollo and Asklepios (Asclepius). And to make things more complicated there are four more gods who can go under this name. In the story that gives the peony its name Paeon is Asklepios' student and the master is jealous of the pupil. To protect Paeon from the wrath of Asklepios, Zeus changes him into a peony. Unfortunately I have not been able to find more than this one source for this story, so I am not quite sure if the ancient Greek indeed knew it. Paeon is also the name of a song or lyric poem expressing triumph or thanksgiving (source) and the name for a metrical foot (source).


My love for the Lady in Speckled Pink Kimono in which the peony is such an important note made me buy a peony for my garden. The garden centre close to my home had a special offer of rather large plants of the Paeonia lactiflora Sarah Bernhardt which I could not pass. It is in a large pot and it should be possible to keep it in the pot, which may be a good idea because my garden can be quite wet. It is too early to show off its flowers, so for now I'll show a picture that I found online:




Earlier entries inspired by the perfume Lady in Speckled Pink Kimono can be found here, here and here.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten