donderdag 13 september 2012

Djinn


BPAL's Djinn was among the very first imps that a friend sent me to try and I didn't like it much then. I thought I should give it another chance and I find that now I like it enough to wear it two days one after the other. 
An ancient, free-willed race created from the essence of Fire, much as man was created from Earth. They prowled the land at night, vanishing with the first rays of dawn. Myths surrounding the Djinn paint them as many things: benevolent champions of mankind and slaves to mad sorcerers, malicious incubi / succubi and energy vampires, or malevolent harbingers of madness and disease. The Djinn are ruled by Iblis, the Prince of Darkness, who bears unspeakable contempt for man. 
This is what BPAL says about the Djinn. In the tales I read djinn's are often connected with a brass oil lamp (in Aladin's tale for instance) or they are captured in a bottle from which they very much want to escape. These are djinns, plural. 
There is also the idea of Djinn, the King of the fire elementals or salamanders. This Djinn is not a race of creatures but only one and he has above him the Archangel of the element fire, Michael. The tales about djinns were so deeply rooted in me that I always found it hard to accept Djinn as this Elemental King. 

Djinns do not only make their appearance in old tales. In one of the books by Carrie Vaughn about the midnight radio show hostess and werewolf Kitty, "Kitty Raises Hell", a djinn plays an important part. This djinn is a fire creature.

In the card game Magic The Gathering I found cards with djinns of different elements (or as it is in MTG: colours).





 
This last one is the strangest: The picture shows it as a fire creature, yet it has water as its colour. I have not been able to find one that has air as its colour, which seems strange too. But it may be that I simply have not searched well.

Back to the BPAL scent. It is described as:
The scent of black smoke, of crackling flames, and smoldering ashes.
This is an amazingly accurate descrition. I don't know how Beth made it like this, but it does smell like a blazing fire and very hot material. Which is probably why I didn't like it at first. This is hardly how one expects a perfume to smell.






Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten